Monday, August 20, 2012

A fancy [wading] pool costume party


Photo
Mo Willems has to be a geek.  He's just too awesome to be lame.  We are devotees of all things Elephant and Piggie, so of course for ChaseKBH's third birthday party he wanted a fancy pool costume party.  Not actually having a pool, and not wanting to rent space at a pool for a hurried, stressful party, we decided to follow the book to the letter and set up wading pools.  Best party ever.  Well, since the kids are three, pretty much anything that involves a cupcake is the best party ever, so the bar is set rather low.  Regardless, it was easy, fun, and I haven't been blackballed by the other parents yet for failing to do the requisite party place party.  I think the booze helped.  

Photo
We set up a couple of wading pools in the backyard, and a sprinkler.    We gave each kid a  top hat and a couple necklaces of Mardi Gras style beads - both items came cheaply from a party website.    When they needed a break from splashing, they wandered over to the make your own mask table.  I cheated and got a kit off Amazon, but if I was more organized probably would have used leftover craft supplies.  The masks were a huge hit, and keeping the glue and gross outside, then hosing the little devils off before they came inside, was useful.  Did I mention that all children are disgusting by nature?   A good bit of glue was consumed by the attendees.  I gave each child a copy of I Am Invited To A Party in a little canvas tote bag, which was just large enough to slip in their mask and beads.  They wore their top hats out, naturally.  I'm sure some parent somewhere thinks I'm cheap and evil not to do the usual goody bag full of stuff, but again, I'm a lazy mother and  I hate toy clutter.

Photo: Now that's what I call a campfire.We did a backyard barbecue for dinner.  there's really no reason to show this picture except there are awesome flames coming off a five foot grill.  

No comments:

Post a Comment